Florida homeowners- get up to $10,000 reimbursed for your home improvements! Prepare your home for hurricanes.
What is the My Safe Florida Home Program?
According to their website, the program is defined as follows:
The My Safe Florida Home Program was re-enacted during the most recent Special Session of the Florida Legislature. The program consists of two primary components:
- Wind Mitigation Home Inspections (DFS anticipates between 140,000 and 145,000 initial home inspections.) All owners of site-built, single-family, residential homes are eligible to make an application for a wind mitigation home inspection. This inspection will identify those elements of your home’s construction which could be improved to mitigate your home against future wind damages. All inspections will be provided to eligible homeowners free of charge by the State. Applications will be reviewed and approved in the order in which they are received until current funding is exhausted.
- Wind Mitigation Grant awards for home construction (DFS anticipates awarding between 11,000 and 12,000 grants based on current funding.)’
What are the My Safe Florida Home requirements?
The My Safe Florida Home qualifications are as follows:
- Eligibility for the home inspection:
- An owner of a site-built, single-family, residential property may apply for and receive an inspection without any further obligation to apply for a grant.
- Eligibility for the grant:
- The homeowner must provide proof of homestead exemption; if you need assistance obtaining a copy of your homestead exemption information, please confer with your local Property Appraiser or Tax Collector’s Office. Click here to find your local officials.
- The homeowner must provide documentation that their home is insured for $500,000 or less. Please have ready a copy of your current property insurance declarations page. If you do not have a copy, contact your insurance company.
- The home must be in the wind-borne debris region of the state. Please review the map of the region to determine if you live in the eligible area. View Map Here.
- The initial building construction permit for the home must have been issued prior to January 1, 2008. If you do not know when your home was built, please contact your local officials. This information is frequently available through your Property Appraiser’s office or website.
- The homeowner must allow their home to be re-inspected after construction work has been completed.
How much money can I get through the grant?
The Legislature has authorized DFS to provide a matching grant to eligible homeowners up to $10,000 for the actual cost of qualifying home hurricane mitigation projects. The program will provide $2 in grant funds for every $1 the homeowner provides.
In order to receive the maximum grant amount, homeowners must provide $5,000 of their own funds toward the project.
What does the grant cover?
- Roof and Structures
- Upgrade Roof Coverings
- Improve Strength of Roof Deck Attachment
- Reinforce Roof-to-Wall Connections
- Install Secondary Water Barrier for the Roof
- Exterior Door Upgrades
- Garage Door Upgrades
- Window Upgrades
Lucky for you, Ridgeline Construction can help you with almost all of these projects! From roof improvements, to impact resistant doors and windows, we’ve got you covered. We serve Pensacola and Tampa, Florida and their surrounding areas.
Ready to participate in the program? Apply here.