Your roof may need an upgrade from time to time, so be sure that you know what you are doing. Here are a few roofing upgrade tips to consider when you are thinking about having your home reroofed.
Get New Shingles
When you are considering reroofing, something you should think about is getting new shingles. There are many different types of shingles that you can choose from, but find the right ones for your house. New shingles can improve the energy efficiency of your home as well as keep your roof in top-notch condition. Depending on where you live, you will want to choose the right shingle for your house that will last the longest.
Upgrade Your Gutters
If your gutters are damaged or just need to be redone, upgrading your gutters is an important task. If your gutters are sagging, rusty, or leaking, you need to get your gutters redone. There are many different types of gutters that can be installed at your house to match your roof style. At Ridgeline Construction, we would be happy to come to install new gutters in your house and give it the upgrade you need.
Increase Roof Ventilation
In the summer months, your roof can be holding heat in that is making it hard to cool down your house. Your roof may need vents that will allow this hot air to escape while bringing in cooler air. This will cut the cost of your air conditioning because your roof will no longer be trapping the hot air in your home.
Don’t Add a Layer
Applying a new layer onto your existing roof is not recommended in the roofing industry. This may seem like a quick fix, but it will cause more damage in the long run. Adding a layer on top of an old roof can cause more leaks, mold, and damage to your house. Be sure to have a professional reroof your house when you are in need of a new roof.
When is the right time to upgrade your roofing?
The answer to this question depends on various factors, including the climate you live in and how old your existing shingles are. Generally speaking, if you have an asphalt shingle roof over 20 years old, it’s time to start considering replacing it with a new one. This is especially true for older homes in cold climates where storms, heavy rains, and snowfall can damage asphalt shingles more quickly than other types of roofs.
Roofing Upgrades to Consider When Reroofing
When it comes time to reroof a home, homeowners should consider several important upgrades. Not only can these improvements extend the life of your roof and improve its performance, but they will also provide added protection against water infiltration and other environmental elements. Here are some of the most common roofing upgrades to consider when you are reroofing:
- Shingles: High-performance shingle systems offer superior protection against the elements and help keep moisture out of your home. They also come with warranties of up to 50 years or more, making them a great long-term investment. Additionally, high-performance shingles can provide energy savings benefits in certain climates due to their reflective properties.
- Flashing: Flashing is an essential component for preventing water from infiltrating through gaps around vents and pipes on your roof. Quality flashing materials will ensure your roof is adequately sealed and prevent costly repairs down the line due to water damage or mold growth caused by leaks in interior walls or ceilings.
- Underlayment: Installing an extra layer of synthetic underlayment beneath your shingle system can provide additional waterproof protection to your roof and extend its lifespan by protecting it against UV rays and extreme temperatures.
- Ventilation System: A properly functioning ventilation system is critical for avoiding moisture buildup inside your attic during hot summer months as well as preventing ice dams during cold winter months. Quality ventilation systems circulate fresh air throughout the attic space, helping maintain dry conditions year-round while reducing energy bills associated with cooling the home due to improved insulation levels inside the attic space.
- Attic Insulation: It is essential for any homeowner looking to upgrade their roof to make sure that their attic has adequate insulation levels so that heat does not enter into the house during warm weather months or escape during colder months when temperatures drop drastically outside. Appropriate insulation levels within the attic will reduce energy bills while also protecting against outside elements like wind or rainstorms hitting the roof surface itself.
If you are considering reroofing your home, Ridgeline Construction is the company for you. Trust our skilled and licensed experts with your home and we will be sure to do a great job.